“Please place the oxygen mask over your own mouth and nose before assisting others.”
We hear these words before every airline flight. They’re simple but they speak profoundly about the necessity to prioritize our self-care. We often operate under the assumption that in order to be successful leaders, we have to run ourselves ragged. The fundamental truth is that we cannot tend to the needs of others without first tending to ourselves. This is the first in a 3-part series focusing on mental health and wellness. In today’s episode, we focus on self-care and why it’s essential.
Scriptural Reference: 1 Kings 19 : 5 - "Then he lay down and slept under the broom tree. But as he was sleeping, an angel touched him and told him, 'Get up and eat!'"
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Book: Come Hither: God Is Calling His Blood Bought Children To Be Overcomers by DeVern F. Fromke
- Book: Jesus and the Disinherited by Howard Thurman
- Book: The Emotionally Healthy Leader by Peter Scazzero
- Book: The Making of a Man of God: Lessons from the Life of David by Alan Redpath
- Book: The Measure of a Man by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Book: The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions by Arthur Bennett